Accidental loss of teeth
If you have sustained any significant blow
to the teeth or jaws, it is advisable to see a dentist as soon as
possible. If a tooth has been knocked out, it is possible to save it, if
you act swiftly.
- Pick the tooth up by the crown (the
rounded end). Do not touch the root.
- Get the person to whom the tooth belongs
to suck it clean.
- Working gently and carefully, reposition
the tooth into the socket (the hole from where the tooth came). If
this is not possible, store the tooth in a cup of milk, or under the
- Hold in place by gently biting on a
clean cloth (handkerchief or soft cotton), or hold in place with
- Get to a dentist straightaway.
DO NOT Store the tooth in a rough or dry place.
DO NOT Use antiseptic or disinfectant.
This can be very successful, so give it a
try if the situation arises.
This article published on
08 February 2006
Next review date 2/1/2013
Eyes, ears, nose, throat